Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 3, The Apprentice Challenge

Today marks the first step in our COBA apprentice Challenge. This morning, we went to visit with Head basketball coach of the Leipzig Lady Eagles, Ritz Ingram. We had a wonderful and entertaining breakfast with Ritz and the league President as they explained the dynamics of the Lady Eagles previous seasons. He charged us with the task of helping him increase the visibility of his team (and basketball in general) in the Leipzig community. We left with excited and bursting with ideas! We had discussion time later, and I feel ready to take on the challenge. I would share some ideas, but I don't want anyone reading the blog (hem, hem--my coauthor) to steal any ideas!

After our meeting, we took a few pictures for the press here in Leipzig in front of Thomaskirch, and then headed to lunch at a GREAT downtown, cafe restaurant. I enjoyed a thoroughly incredible meal of Mango Chicken and zucchini. At lunch we actually got to meet one of the players, I couldn't quite catch her name though. I thought about asking for an autograph, but, I didn't think that was the best idea. She seemed really great!


Basketball Player for the Eagles

So, after the hub-bub of a great lunch with the group, Sylvia and I ventured for some shopping. Particularly for watches, so we could actually be on time places without the use of cellphones, a hard adjustment for the both of us. But really, what we witnessed next made my day. One of my favorite things here in Germany is the diversity of people we get to see! For Example:

An interesting couple, out walking their three giant dogs, wish you could have seen this in person

After a complicated trip to the German Supermarter, some research time in our apprentice groups, a few of us settled down for some good home cookin'. What better way to break in our time in Germany, with a little Chinese food! Although the apprentice challenge was a tough one, I think the hardest moment of the day was trying to decipher how to cook Chinese Milk Rice, reading the directions in German. But everything turned out OK in the end.


Dinner with Sterling, Colin, Grant, Sylvia, Jonathan, and Branson

After another successful day in Leipzig, we ended the day with Ice Cream, and a movie with the group in Professor Winegeart's flat. The movie we watched helped us prepare for our upcoming venture to Berlin, and it equipped us with a greater understanding of the East and West German Mentalities!

Wish Happy Birthday to Lindsay Winegeart! It was her Birthay today in Leipzig!
Stay tuned for our Adventures this weekend in Berlin

I love you and miss you all!
-Jen

2 comments:

  1. you look like you're all having so much fun. Miss you SYlvia and Jenny, wish I were there!
    Kelsey Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. The team dynamics appear to be shaping up along with a task focus and the continued "fun." Way to go --- indeed a life shaping experience. I know it gets lonely at times, but I'm so glad you have each other and Prof. Winegeart. He is such a jewel for an international experience.

    ReplyDelete