Sunday, July 12, 2009

I am a Jelly Donut, Berlin Part 2

After a great first day in Berlin, we set out to make it a great Day 2! We began with a good breakfast at a Bakerie near the hostel, then some of us headed off to LEGO land! Well, Lego land was 16 euros to get in, so we bypassed it, but we did get an awesome picture with a Giant Giraffe!
We hopped back on the underground after legoland in Potzdamer Platz, one of the central underground stations. We headed to Alexander Platz, where we arrived back near the TV tower, and the location where our bike tour began yesterday. Near this area is what the Germans call Museumsinsel, or Museum Island. I could have lived here! Museum after Museum, plus some pretty amazing churches as well. We headed to one of the most famous ones, and in my opinion, the BEST, the Pergamon Museum.

The Babylonian Gate of Ishtar
Authentic Recreation of the Alter at Pergamon

After the Pergamon, we ate a good lunch of Brats from the local (very safe) vendors in the area as we strolled through the marketplace.
Yum! The best cheap food possible here!

We then wanted to go back to the Brandenburg Gate, but, when we arrived, there was a giant festival going on. We went to explore, and realized it was a special olympics awareness There were teams playing wheelchair basketball, and other teams playing volleyball in the seated position. It was amazing!

At the festival, there were many activities you could to to simulate what it was like to be a handicapped player. One activity was Blind soccer. The participant put on almost blinding glasses, and the goalie shouted "here" so you could know where to kick it! Branson successfully scored a goal, so I decided to try. Well, I wasn't quite as successful. Look carefully at the picture and see what went wrong..

My shoe landed closer to the goal than the ball did, I guess I'm not cut out for Blind soccer

Our time in Berlin was pretty much up, so we hopped back on the underground back to the Berlin Hapt BonHauf. Sylvia and I slept pretty much the whole way back to Leipzig. It was a great, but exhausting trip!

This last little picture is going to be a Berlin Trivia game. Look carefully at this picture, and if you realize what is Missing, be the first person to let me know! Hint: Think about local news.

Week 1 in Germany is through, but we have many more great things to come! This week, we're going to hit it hard on our project for the Lady Eagles, and begin some street interviews! It should be challenging and fun.

The TV Tower

--love, Jenny

4 comments:

  1. Jenny, my guess would be since there are open windows, no one uses air conditioning. Not that we have needed it this week in abilene, average high temp I think was 102..... The Zellers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the window Michael Jackson dangled baby Blanet from, or was that in Paris? I can't remember and I don't want to cheat by looking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Barnard, I'm thoroughly impressed. that's amazing! You guessed it right away, and I really didn't think anyone would actually remember that. Miss Zeller, You are absolutely right that NO ONE has air conditioning...it's great 95% of the time...but that other 5% is rough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I love the part about the slide. Looks like fun. Also, the church building is fantatic, and the people seem really great. I know you are feeling the "cold" but hopefully it will warm up. I like your writing style and information. The consultantation will be great learning. Dad

    ReplyDelete