Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I think I've adjusted, it's hot!

So, here's a shout out to all of you in West Texas, Today, it was 25 degrees Celsius which translates to approximately 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Today, I though I was hitting a heat stroke, I actually got so hot that I felt sick. I know I know, nothing compares to the constant temperatures over 100, but it's amazing how the definition of "hot" changes just from a week in 50-60 degree weather. But it's a good sign, that I am adjusting to the climate here, and maybe the culture as well! This morning, we began with a "Survival German" class! Very important for our time here. We learned everything from "Can you help me?" (Können Sie mir helfen?) to "Should we meet downtown this evening?"(Sollen wir uns heute abend in der Stadt treffen?). Don't worry mom, you taught me well, I won't use this line on cute strangers!

After that we headed out in our 4 small groups to work on the Eagles project. My team happened to work on Event planning, and we made quite a bit of progress this morning. We came up with Half-time shows that the Eagles could possibly used to boost entertaiment factors at games, and low cost ways to have exhibitions for the girls, to increase their publicity. Our work time was very successful!

Sylvia and I riding the streetcar to BMW

So, do you remember those movies in the 80's where Robots suddenly develop brains, and take over the world. Well I don't remember those movies either, because I really wasn't born yet, but, if I did, I would have witnessed the recreation of those fears in REAL life today! We visited the BMW factory plant here in Leipzig, and we actually got to witness firsthand production of those envied vehicles. Whoever said you can't buy happiness has never been to the BMW factory! Just Kidding, but it's amazing to see them start to finish. I just wish we could have been the Test Drivers!
Mom and Dad, Graduation Present? (In my dreams right?)

The Robots that created the cars were some of the most Amazing Technology that I've ever witnessed in my life. The precision and accuracy and timing of each movement is incredible. It's like nothing ever misses a beat (although I'm sure it does from time to time). The first room we entered had sparks flying. Our guide did not seem at all perturbed, but I was pretty convinced that either the "robots", as our guide called them, were about to come alive and chase me through the factory, or, if they didn't catch me, the flying sparks sure would. Either was, the factory was a great experience! We couldn't take picture inside though, so we took a few outside!

Obviously, the logo


Beautiful Ladies, Beautiful Car, Perfect Picture

So after the long day of walking through the plant, Sylvia, Lindsay and I headed out for some downtown shopping, but ended up not buying anything, because Sylvia and I decided it's probably more important to eat for the next month, rather than just wearing our new clothes.


I know today already sounds JAM packed, but our whole group decided to end the Day with a little friendly competition. Winegeart suggested that we all go play a little Ultimate Frisbee in one of the parks nearby. It was my first time to play, but definitely won't be my last!

Ultimate Frisbee Team 1


Ultimate Frisbee Team 2 (obviously the best team, who won)


Here's Grant Explaining instructions to all the Newby's

Austin Winegeart made some Amazing Catches (Thankfully he was on my team)

My Final "Hurah" for the evening consisted of a jog through one of the local parks. This would not necessarily be significant, except that, I FINALLY found the Leipzig youth nightlife. I went to a new park tonight, and to my astonishment, found what seemed like the entire University population, sitting and visiting with friends, playing guitars, listening to local street jazz musicians, or laying gazing at a beautiful setting sun! I'm hoping out group can join the locals soon!

Ciao--Love,

Jenny

3 comments:

  1. Hey, great concepts, great pictures, and love the BMW comment ---- maybe in about 10 years after you get a great job! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the pictures are really great. The part about the shoe falling off after the soccor kick is great. I know you are having a wonderful experience. For some reason, after these comments, the rest of the blog quit. I'm d0ing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, the German phrases seem to be coming along --- nice going. A whole bunch of people at church and school ask about you all the time.

    ReplyDelete